So last week I turned 55 years old.
In many ways it was a much bigger deal to me than the big 5-0. Not sure why, but it started weighing on me 90 days in advance of my birthday.
My wife took me on a little birthday getaway to Gulf Coast of Florida for a little fun in the sun. The Facebook “Happy Birthday” responses were overwhelming and greatly appreciated. All of this got me to thinking about how grateful I am of many things and the lessons I’ve learned.
So for enjoyment and maybe a chuckle, here are my 55 Lessons:
NOTE: Many of these are my original thoughts but I’m sure many are not original and I’ve just picked along the way.
I hope you find some meaning in ……………..
1. For one, it’s never too late to start…anything.
2. Sometimes life will just suck. But not forever.
3. It’s during the bad times when you find out who really cares.
4. Being a procrastinator is not a character flaw.
5. Avoid debt.
6. No one else is responsible for YOU.
7. Pick your battles. You don’t have to win every argument.
8. Forgive. And forgive some more.
9. Fix yourself before trying to fix others.
10. Lead…Follow…or Get Out of the Way.
11. Be grateful for what you have. You’ll miss it when it’s gone.
12. Appreciate good health.
13. A well groomed man never looks like he had a haircut.
14. Don’t be afraid to admit your mistakes.
15. Be sure your wife knows how much you love her with your actions more than your words.
16. Let your kids see how much you love your wife with a little PDA.
17. You don’t HAVE to do anything you don’t want to do. Just know there are consequences for your actions or in-action. Can you live with that?
18. Doing new things will keep you from being stuck in your old ways.
19. Do work you enjoy. Don’t waste your life stuck behind a desk of dislike.
20. Fill your life amazing people.
21. Life is always more exciting when pursuing goals
22. Move your body every day. Do some type of physical conditioning.
23. Drink a lot of water. And then drink some more.
24. Sleep as much as your spouse will allow.
25. Apologize to your kids if you screw up.
26. Laugh every chance you get.
27. It is what it is. Accept it and move on.
28. You can only expect what God intends.
29. Things are seldom as good as they seem nor are they as bad as they seem. It’s usually somewhere in the middle.
30. Giving flowers unexpectedly is an investment that pays off way more than the $20 bucks it will cost you.
31. Life without a dog…no thank you.
32. Take your vitamins.
33. Embrace the suck. And push through to the other side.
34. She REALLY IS always right.
35. Workout enough to eat some junk food.
36. Spend money on really good running shoes.
37. Apple makes life easier. Period.
38. A hot shower cures many ailments.
39. When in doubt, maybe you should run toward what you fear.
40. Let go of anger. It’s just not worth it.
41. Don’t take yourself too seriously.
42. Look your best at all times, not only for you, but for your spouse.
43. Have a soft heart.
44. Don’t let your past blind you to your future.
45. Don’t try to keep up with the Jones’. Nobody likes them anyway.
46. You CAN get through anything.
47. Choose to be happy.
48. Life won’t be fair, prepare for it.
49. It’s the struggle that makes you stronger and makes your story interesting.
50. Watch as many sunsets as possible.
51. Show up every day.
52. Learn how to sell yourself.
53. Be willing to do any job you are asking someone else to do.
54. Intense focus can bring phenomenal results.
55. Find your match.